[ChiPy-announce] ChiPy September 2018 Main Meeting

Joe Jasinski joe.jasinski at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 08:48:16 EDT 2018

Chipy,

The next main meeting is almost here!  Hope to see you there.

Thank you to Metis for hosting us!

*When:*Thus Sep 13, 2018, 6:30 p.m.

6:00pm Doors open
6:30pm: Meeting Starts

*How:*You can RSVP at chipy.org <http://www.chipy.org/> or via our Meetup
<https://www.meetup.com/_ChiPy_/events/253770388/> group.

*Where:*
Metis
1033 West Van Buren St
3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60607

*What:*

   - *How to install Anaconda*
   By: Kevin Nasto
   Experience Level: Novice
   Ever want to avoid installing Python packages with complex dependencies
   such as sklearn? Ever have permissions issues installing a package? Anaconda
   is the answer. This talk describes why use it and how to get it set up.
   - *Machine Learning and Deduplication*
   By: Forest Gregg
   Experience Level: Intermediate
   Machine learning and record linkage: Finding duplicates or matching data
   when you don't have primary keys is one of the biggest challenges in
   preparing data for data science. At DataMade we have built a python, open
   source machine learning library to help developers, and a product Dedupe.io
   to help everyone else. We describe the problem and how we use machine
   learning to scale to tens of millions of records.
   - *Why python is the best first programming language and here is how to
   make it even better*
   By: Jhankar Mahbub
   Experience Level: Novice
   Meet Simon! He doesn't have a technology background, but he wants to be
   a programmer. Should he go to a boot camp with 17k or read 29,900,000
   options provided by Google when he searched "Learn Python". Or he can join
   ChiPy mentorship program. While all of these will work, I would like to
   make his journey bit more enjoyable by presenting a more natural,
   friendlier, and a more interactive way to learn programming concepts. In
   this talk, we will look at functions, for loops, list comprehensions, and
   generators in a way that is easy for people like Simon to understand and
   use.

*Thank you always to all our sponsors, including our Diamond sponsors:
Metis and TelnyxAlso thank you to our Platinum sponsors: Braintree,
Imaginary Landscape, Lumere, and Signature Consultants. Also, thank you to
our Silver sponsor: Markit.Please be aware of our code of
conduct http://www.chipy.org/pages/conduct/
<http://www.chipy.org/pages/conduct/>*

--
Joe J. Jasinski