[code-quality] Code-quality & PEP257

Tarek Ziadé tarek at ziade.org
Wed Apr 17 15:51:45 CEST 2013

On 4/15/13 8:59 PM, Vladimir Keleshev wrote:
> Hi Ian,
> I'm actually on the mailing list as well (since maybe 2 weeks ago).
> You might remember my email about proposing a common format for error
> messages. I think it's a great idea to coordinate development of our
> static-analysis tools. Adding pep257 to flake8 might be a good idea.
> Shall we call it fla257ke8? :o)
> But I'm not sure I understand the purpose of flake8. Wouldn't having a
> common error format between all the tools defeat the purpose of flake8?

Having a common standard would be great indeed, but I am afraid every
CLI will always have its own specifics way of displaying things - so the
hard part
is to make sure every tool out there provide a way to get that specific
output wether it's via a CLI option or via code (like the flake8 plugins)

 > Then a dummy runner would suffice.
> Imagine a world where all static analysis tools have a common output
> format and same command-line interface and error conventions.

You've just described what flake8 is trying to achieve: being a dummy
runner on the top of a bunch of tools  :)

but in order to perform this in a smart way, it needs to add a bit of
glue to reorder the outputs etc.
It also provides a standard/stable interface for the user and other tools

So at the end, adding a new metrics can consist of simply creating a new
flake8 plugin and
let flake8 take care of the CLI + configuration part.

Cheers
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé · http://ziade.org · @tarek_ziade