[code-quality] How does pylint find files to process

Mark E. Hamilton mhamilt at sandia.gov
Thu Aug 7 20:57:22 CEST 2014

Hi,

I'm having trouble figuring out how pylint finds python files to
process. If I find() all the .py files in my project and pass them on
the command line pylint processes them correctly (after I set up
PYTHONPATH, of course.)

However, if I just pass my project directory to pylint it fails with:

F:  1, 0: error while code parsing: Unable to load file
'.../__init__.py' ([Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'.../__init__.py') (parse-error)

If I create an empty __init__.py file it works, but only finds and
processes some of the files. This seems to imply that I need to created
__init__.py files in my entire tree. Is that the case?