[code-quality] RedBaron, a bottom-up refactoring lib/tool for python

Sylvain Thénault sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr
Mon Nov 17 10:01:51 CET 2014

On 15 novembre 16:49, Dave Halter wrote:
> Hi Laurent

Hi Laurent, David,

> Great to see somebody finally tackling refactoring.

indeed!

> I'm answering, because I think we're working on the same issue. But we have
> finished two different parts: You have finished a refactoring
> implementation and I have finished the static analysis part. I'm the author
> of Jedi. https://github.com/davidhalter/jedi/

Could I ask what do you mean by static analysis in the context of a completion
library?

> I'm currently working on the integration of the lib2to3 parser into Jedi.
> This would make refactoring really easy (I'm about 50% done with the
> parser). It's also well tested and offers a few other advantages.
>
> In a perfect world, we could now combine our projects :-) I will look in
> detail at Red Baron on Monday.

David, we've been talking about this during the latest EuroPython, and I've
talked with Laurent yesterday at the Capitole du Libre in Toulouse: IMO we could
start by extracting from lib2to3 "the" parser that could be used by every tools
like ours (refactoring, completion, static analysis...). It would be:
* loss-less (comments, indents...)
* accurate (eg from/to line numbers)
* fast
* version agnostic within a reasonable frame (eg 2.7 -> 3.4?)

I guess almost every one on this list would be interested in such a parser, even
if most would have to do a second pass on the generated tree to get more
"business oriented" tree for their own project. Whatever, we (pylint guys) would
be greatly interested.