[code-quality] How to detect unused PyLint declarations

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Sat Nov 22 14:20:19 CET 2014

On 11/22/14 4:02 AM, Kay Hayen wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I have deployed that, in my check-with-pylint on the factory git
> branch, I am now
> for the first time ever, in Nuitka, fully pylint clean with PyLint1.3.
>
> What that message above does, is to make PyLint very version
> dependent. There are new messages to that version, and there are fixed
> false alarms and new false alarms. But there is no way around that, right?
>
> As a tool for distributed development, that's not ideal. Say I would
> want to make these checks part of commit hooks, I would require people
> to have 1.3 somewhere, when they already have 1.4, or still 1.2, you
> get the idea.
Wouldn't you pin the version of PyLint in your requirements.txt file?

> Or do I still get to implement the "delta of PyLint warnings didn't
> worsen" check for that commit hook, even though I am supposedly now
> PyLint clean. Seems there is no real way around that?
BTW, diff-cover is a tool that can give you coverage, pep8, and pylint
measurements just for your changes, rather than for the entire source
tree that results from your changes.  It's a good way to focus
developers on improving quality metrics.

--Ned.