[code-quality] Request For Comments: Moving Flake8 development to Git

Ian Cordasco graffatcolmingov at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 15:34:30 CEST 2014

On 9/13/14, Tarek Ziadé <tarek at ziade.org> wrote:
> Le 13/09/14 09:52, Ben Finney a écrit :
>> Sylvain Thénault
>> <sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr> writes:

>>> Isn't this rather a question of platform - github vs bitbucket ?
>> No, using Git doesn't imply GitHub hosting. Likewise, using Mercurial
>> doesn't imply Bitbucket hosting.
>>
>> I think it's a better idea to host a repository on something like a
>> Gitorious instance, since it avoids proprietary extensions (such as
>> those of GitHub) to ensure there's no lock-in to a specific provider.
>>
>> So please, mke the decision of which VCS *system* independent of which
>> *hosting service*. And please choose a hosting service without
>> proprietary extensions.
>
> This is very true - however the (sad) truth is that having a project on
> github.com boosts contributions like nowhere else - and I guess at the
> end of the day it's still beneficial for OSS.

I only replied to Tarek instead of the list. Sorry Tarek that you're
going to get this twice

So given the consensus was to move it away from BitBucket, and we
would like to not get stuck with proprietary sites like GitHub. How
does this plan sound?

We will host the mainline development on an entirely free site -
GitLab - and mirror the repository on GitHub for visibility. We will
disable issues on GitHub but still accept pull requests via GitHub.

My reason for preferring GitLab over Gitorious is that GitLab allows
users to sign in with their GitHub login, so if someone already has a
GitHub account, they can simply authorize GitLab to have read access
to their user data and then create and comment on issues.

Cheers,
Ian