[code-quality] Moving pylint/astroid to GitHub

Sylvain Thénault sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr
Wed Oct 21 13:52:00 CEST 2015

Hi,

at Logilab, we've been involved for years with mercurial development and we
fight daily against the centralized model offered by github, among others. The
latter explains why we've self-hosted pylint for such a long time even if the UI
didn't reach the level of other well-known platforms. Unfortunaly, I still fail
to see a lot of counter arguments against the rationales exposed by Florian and
we already have to admit that the switch to bitbucket has been a success, as it
has allowed a new generation of developpers to take over pylint's development
and making it even more successful. So if you, people who make the project alive
today, feel like it has to be done, go with it. Even if it makes me, and maybe a
few others, sad.

Still, if there is some options to use e.g. gitlab with a mirroring to github or
alike which keeps the expected benefit but without the centralized model, I
would like to have them considered. This maybe of interest for others PyCQA
projects.

Anyway, whatever the move, if we go out of bitbucket I would rather benefit from
the opportuntiy to put pylint under the PyCQA umbrella as proposed by Ian.

Cheers,