[Compiler-sig] Update to compiler for Python 2.0

Mark Hammond MarkH@ActiveState.com
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:48:24 +1100

> One question that Neil Schemenauer raised (privately I think) is
> whether the compiler package in 2.0 should be compatible with earlier
> versions of Python.  I see that the changes you have made will allow
> the code to run with Python 1.5.2.  How important is this?

ATM, I am using transformer.py and related code for the .NET project.  I
don't want to insist on Python 2.0 yet for this, but will be happy to in a
few months.

I don't care about the compiler and assembler.

> If it is important to have pre-2.0 compatibility, how should we
> maintain the code?  I imagine either a separate SF project with just
> that code or a set of subclasses that can be used with old versions of
> Python.  Do either of these make sense?

It is is a problem in the short-term, I simply won't synch my changes with
yours...

Mark.