[Compiler-sig] progress on new AST

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 23:23:36 -0500

    Jeremy> I've been working on a new AST defined in ASDL (the Zephyr
    Jeremy> abstract syntax definition language).  I've checked in the
    Jeremy> current work in python/nondist/sandbox/ast.
    Jeremy> Anyone interested in pitching in?  I'd be happy to have feedback
    Jeremy> or help.

What needs to be pitched?  I'm generally more familiar with pitching stuff
out, but not in a software setting.

Unfamiliar as I am with where this is headed, I will abstract a post to
c.l.py from a couple days ago that has so far gone unanswered and ask a
question:

    How difficult is it to change the parser that the following:

    ==guettli@sonne:~/tmp$ python ~/scripts/replace_recursive.py
      File "/home/guettli/scripts/replace_recursive.py", line 17
        in=open(temp)
         ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax

    will print "SyntaxError: invalid syntax. 'in' is an reserved word"?

Will the new ASDL code eventually lead to more user-friendly error messages
and decent enough error recovery that it won't have to give up after the
first syntax error it encounters?

Skip