[Compiler-sig] Moving Forward

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 18:53:58 -0500

  NN> I think Jeremy's approach
  NN>     http://www.zope.org/Members/jeremy/CurrentAndFutureProjects/PythonAST
  NN> is a good starting point.

Let's start there, then ;-).

  NN> So what is the next step?  Defining an AST?

Yes.  I'd like to try to convert the compiler package's AST into
something in the declaration language of ASDL.

I tried to download and build the ASDL tool, but failed.  Not sure if
something was wrong with my sml/nj install or what.  I've been meaning
to get back to Dan Wang with questions, but have been busy with other
things.

The language for ASDL is probably good to use, even if we don't use
asdlGen.  We could write our own tool to generate C, Java, Python,
etc. from the definitions.  Or translate by hand...

  NN> It would be nice if we can make the AST the same for CPython and
  NN> Jython.

Yes.

Jeremy