[Compiler-sig] ast branch

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
01 Apr 2003 10:44:41 -0500

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 07:32, Neal Norwitz wrote:
> The AST branch seems to be making pretty good progress.  I just wanted
> to collect the known issues so we don't overlap.  Brett Cannon had
> mentioned that he was interested in the new compiler, so perhaps this
> will provide some insight into the status.

I fixed a wild right in assemble_jump_offsets() yesterday.  That
eliminate the code dumps I had been seeing during compilation of site.py
and the modules it depends on.  I still get a core dump somewhere during
the startup, but the failure is the result of generating bad code.  Much
more progress on that front.

We've still got lots of niggling problems.  I also fixed a problem with
expressions containing more than one binary operator.  1 + 2 + 3 was
being turned into BinOp(1, +, 2) by the ast converter, instead of
BinOp(BinOp(1, +, 2), + 3).

It's still helpful to try trivial one-line expressions at the
interpreter prompt and see what happens.

Jeremy