[concurrency] Common Concurrent Problems

Garrett Smith g at rrett.us.com
Tue Jun 9 22:49:25 CEST 2009

----- "Aahz" <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 09, 2009, Pete wrote:
>> The particular problem (tail | grep) came out of Beaz's class and was
>> incredibly helpful for comparing generators vs. coroutines.  We
>> *should* find a problem that is actually concurrent - how about
>> tail|grep'ing multiple input files?
>
> What about a spider?  Feel free to rip this off and rewrite as
> multiple processes (preferably with credit but I don't really care):

The generator/coroutines example of the pipeline is a good example of
lazy evaluation in Python. That's pretty cool coming from Python!

In Pete's defense, the ideas *were* presented in a workshop entitled
"Concurrency" :)

What about parallel quick sort? This seems to me almost a "hello world"
version of a parallel algorithm. No IO though.

Garrett