[concurrency] Inside the Python GIL

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Jun 12 19:39:34 CEST 2009

    Jeremy> I'm not sure I understand how to distinguish between I/O bound
    Jeremy> threads and CPU bound threads.

I don't know that we can (people writing bits of Python which operate on
threads).  I suspect a useful distinction though is that an I/O bound thread
mostly gives up the CPU to wait on an I/O device, while a CPU bound thread
is mostly "evicted" from the CPU by the OS scheduler.  (Though I sort of
suspect you already understand this textbook definition.)  Is that what
you're referring to by "not sure I understand"?

Skip