[concurrency] Inside the Python GIL

David Beazley dave at dabeaz.com
Fri Jun 12 19:27:13 CEST 2009

> However, that being said; I think people get hung up on the GIL before
> even knowing if it does affect their application, and are too quick to
> discount python threads as a whole before figuring it out for
> themselves.

I agree.   I'd even so far as to say that more people should probably
go pick up an operating systems text and look at it.  In the big
picture, the GIL doesn't really matter if everything stays I/O
bound.   It's only when programs start to drift away from I/O
processing that things start to get fuzzy.   Obviously, the material I
presented in the talk is at the opposite extreme (where there is heavy
CPU processing).   The real question is what is happening for programs
that sit somewhere in the middle of that space.  I honestly don't know.

Cheers,
Dave