[concurrency] about the concurrency-sig list

Jeremy McMillan aphor at me.com
Tue Nov 15 22:29:23 CET 2011

In the olden days, someone on the list would offer to curate a FAQ. The purpose of a FAQ is to squelch debate that is not productive, and I think specifying some guidelines would add value.

Here's my suggestion.

1) What sort of discussion is appropriate for concurrency-sig?
a: How to generalize parallel problems (is a discussion topic adequate covered by more general prior discussion)?
b: How to generalize Python approaches/components/solutions to parallel problems (frameworks, multicore, MPP clustering, coroutine/pipeline idiom, event processing, etc.)
c: How to hypothesize performance of an approach to a problem via Amdahl's Law and/or difficulty getting a good implementation
d: How to design and conduct robust testing
e: Analysis of test data
f: Discussion of implications to general knowledge (goto a:)

Discussion should, IMHO, progress through a..f states and then the particular subject can be closed. If you want to know how to get more concurrency in a Python solution to X, that falls under a. If you want to compare X and Y toolkits, that's probably b, but the discussion needs to point to c. Trouble with any given system are under c and d. Bring data everyone loves e! With new data, we can cut loose a little bit and prune our collective dogma together :)

2) What sort of discussion is inappropriate for concurrency-sig?

If it doesn't fit one of the states in 1), or it prevents discussion from progressing through those states, we're not interested.