[concurrency] Issues with the current concurrency mechanisms in Python

Christopher Reay christopherreay at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 08:47:37 CET 2012

Greenlets, as far as I understand it, are a superprimitive structure.
Co-routines, implmemented as an extention to the Interpreter.

Im not sure exactly what "officially" supported means in this instance.

Co-routines offer a way to circumvent the tree structure convention of
program (control) flow constructs. As such, I suppose they offer a way to
remodel threading, but im not sure if they could be said to approach the
"issues of concurrency" that give rise to questions about locking and
object sharing.

I think the core of this discussion (which has lost all steam, verve, fun
and substance since it was kicked out of python-ideas) is:

   1. How can python support multiple external processes interacting with a
   single set of states (i.e. an interpreter instance) given that the GIL
   exists?
   2. How can we improve sharing of objects between interpreter instances?

Does this about sum up where we are?