[Conferences-discuss] Crackle, crackle, "hello"...

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 23:10:02 -0500

    RF> The idea of a separate YAPC-style conference for Python is
    RF> also great.  Calling it a "workshop" rather than a
    RF> "conference" actually makes a difference to many employers
    RF> though. A workshop can be booked under employee development
    RF> while a conference cannot. So let's call it the Python
    RF> Workshop and have it focus on futures and works in progress
    RF> rather than an academic paper medium.

Absolutely +1.

I completely agree with the majority sentiment here that we should
hook up with OSCON for the Moulin Rouge-style conference.  IMO, the
best way to expand the Python community is to find people and a
community that's closely related, and I can't think of a better
opportunity than OSCON.

One thing I'd really like to see in a YAPC-style workshop is a focus
on getting things accomplished.  In Zopeland, XP-style sprints are all
the rage, are actually kind of fun, a great way for imparting wisdom
from gurus to mortals, and accomplishing a lot of really good coding.
I believe OSCON also has leading or trailing hackfests.  I'd /love/ to
see something similar for Python.  Imagine what we could do with a
room full of Python hackers coding like mad for a couple of days. :)

-Barry