[Conferences-discuss] academic recognition and meeting people

Kevin Altis altis@semi-retired.com
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:04:57 -0800

As David suggests, I would like to see a poll that is actively promoted for
a week or more to get meaningful results from a large and varied set of
Python users and developers.

I lean towards the solution of a Python track at OSCON (which I'm unlikely
to attend) and at least one YAPC-style conference, which I'm more likely to
attend.

If someone wants to get academic recognition or credit at work for papers
and presentations, then the OSCON conference would be appropriate, assuming
OSCON publishes papers and slide proceedings. For everyone else, making the
materials available online should be more than adequate.

The web has made conferences as a method of information gathering sort of
pointless. If you want a conference to reach a larger population of current
and potential Python users, then you have to make all of the materials and
sessions, daily blog proceedings, etc. available for free wherever possible.
That way the conference can work for you even after it is over.

OSCON is probably the best way to promote Python to a larger audience as
well, which is something Python desperately needs right now, exposure
outside the usual list of suspects to help grow the user base.

BTW, I would like to note that the Introducing Python student video was
great and if the love interest story line could be cut out and just keep the
interviews and Python humor bits and then make it available from some higher
capacity streaming sites it will be a nice promotional tool suitable for
programmer and executive alike. I would like to discuss more the subject of
Python PR and marketing efforts, but please email me directly rather than
continuing the discussion on the list. I only mention it here because part
of the point of a conference is PR for your topic area.

I couldn't find the exact costs for attending OSCON, I'm assuming with
conference, hotel, meals, and travel it will set you back $2500 or more.
Does OSCON wave conference fees for presenters or people providing papers,
training sessions, etc.?

My only reason for going to a conference these days, which will come out of
my own pocket, not as a work perk, is to meet people face to face. I would
also be interested in working sessions where a lot of ground can be covered
very quickly and consensus built that is otherwise difficult to do via a
mailing list. This might also include extreme programming type sessions,
which luckily Python is perfect for. But mostly it is the ability to meet
folks that is the draw of conferences. OSCON is probably not a good place
for that.

ka
---
Kevin Altis