[Conferences-discuss] Update: YAPyC 2003 (Washington, DC)

Bruce Eckel Bruce@EckelObjects.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 14:45:15 -0600

For a model like this, where it's volunteer based and the goal is
to keep the cost down, I wouldn't mind paying the reg fee even if
I'm speaking there. It's a different kind of thing -- more open and
Python-ish. With the Python conferences in the past, there was
always this overblown feeling with the too-expensive hotels, the
fancy proceedings, and the organizing company really depressed all
the time because they weren't making money. It really felt wrong.
In that environment, the attitude was "well, if you're doing it for
the money, then I want mine, too." Whereas if people aren't doing
it for the money, then I want to contribute, too.

Plus, ForeTec was consistently incompetent with simple things like
getting the projectors up and working. If it's volunteer based then
I'll bet you things would run much more smoothly (projectors have
gotten much cheaper, as well, so I'll suspect it would be worth
looking into owning some rather than renting, which tends to be
rather expensive).

Back in the days of Micro Cornucopia, they ran the annual SOG
(Semi-Official Gathering) which was free except for the cost of
traveling and staying there. Speakers didn't get paid for that, and
it was great.

On 7/17/2002 at 12:24 PM Aahz wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 17, 2002, Paul Everitt wrote:
>>
>> 2) They hauled in 255 people total, where roughly 75 didn't pay
>> (organizers, speakers, press).
>
>I'd suggest a model where *everyone* pays (except possibly press).
 That
>lowers the cost for everyone; if someone really can't afford $150
or less
>for registration, we can have a "scholarship" fund.  We can also
do it
>like science fiction conventions, where profits are plowed into
reg
>refunds *after* the conference.
>--
>Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>
>http://www.pythoncraft.com/
>
>Project Vote Smart: http://www.vote-smart.org/

Most current information can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Etc/notes.html
Bruce Eckel    http://www.BruceEckel.com
Contains free electronic books: "Thinking in Java 2e" & "Thinking
in C++ 2e"
Please subscribe to my free newsletter -- just send any email to:
join-eckel-oo-programming@earth.lyris.net
My schedule can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Calendar