[Conferences-discuss] Crackle, crackle, "hello"...

Steve Holden sholden@holdenweb.com
Tue, 28 May 2002 08:30:09 -0400

Tim, how nice of you to send me a Valentine (even if the delivery date
implies handling by the US Postal Service). Not sure why mail.python.org
held on to this one for over three months ...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Peters" <tim.one@comcast.net>
To: <conferences-discuss@python.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 4:55 AM
Subject: RE: [Conferences-discuss] Crackle, crackle, "hello"...

> [Steve Holden]
> > It was certainly a surprise to me that only 250 or so (my own estimate)
> > people turned up to Python 10, but older hands seemed to feel that this
> > number is "typical".
>
> If it will help draw people, I'll volunteer to attend the next conference.
> I'm told the old homeless bum Foretec keeps hiring to play me is driving
> people away.

Well, nobody wanted to tell you , Tim, but that's the same reason that
PythonLabs is so small. There have actually been advertisements out for new
staff members, but so far only those with strong enough stomachs and a
desparate need for a pay packet have been able to put up with that guy. I
notice he hangs around the offices too. This may make you seem less like a
bot, but it does absolutely nothing for the recruitment effort.

> > I suppose post-Sep11 there is some reason for it, but I would have
> > expected Python to be experiencing almost explosive growth in its user
> > base right now, and for this to be reflected in conference attendance.
> > If not, boy, have I just wasted a year.
>
> One old man around here blaming his wasted life on Python is quite enough,
> thank you.

So what do I blame mine on?

> but-admiring-the-bad-taste-in-combining-"Sep11"-with-"explosive"<wink>-ly
>     y'rs  - tim

And the reason I know my mouth is size 10 is because the foot fits perfectly
:-)

regards
Steve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming                http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/