[Conferences-discuss] DC conference in March

Bruce Eckel Bruce@EckelObjects.com
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 17:47:06 -0600

Sounds good. Doesn't conflict with the SD conference, which is in
April.

I think there is a master conference calendar somewhere on the web.

It would be nice to give a list of low-cost accomodations that are
on the Metro lines, so people from far away and with bad exchange
rates would have options. For example, see my site:
http://www.mindview.net/Seminars/Locations/CrestedButte/PlacesToStay
.html

Also, I am continuing to research the "on-demand" approach for
shirts, hats, mugs, etc., so that people could choose to buy these
items on a case by case basis rather than loading the conference
cost with it.

And my book cover designer has just gotten the proof of a
print-on-demand book, so we have some expertise there for the
possibility of using print-on-demand for the conference proceedings
(my suggestion is that they be available on the web, and those who
want bound conference proceedings can order them via
print-on-demand -- this way the conference price is again not
loaded with the cost of the proceeedings).

On 8/30/2002 at 11:57 AM Guido van Rossum wrote:

>Adam Turoff just sent me a serious proposal for a YAS-style
conference
>in Washington, DC.  I'm inclined to go for it, especially as
nobody
>else in the Python community has offered to do any work to find an
>alternative.  Here's my summary of the deal that Adam has worked
out
>with GWU:
>
>- Date: three days in the week of March 24, 2003.
>
>- Location: GWU conference center in downtown DC.
>
>- Facilities: a grand ballroom holding over 400 people, plus three
>  rooms with a capacity of 80-90 each, and a spacious hallway.
LCD
>  projector in each room.
>
>- Food: breakfast, lunch and two coffee breaks (nothing fancy).
>
>- Sprint: a three-day coding sprint event before or after the
>  conference is an option.
>
>- Cost: with a price of $100/head, a break-even point at 300
>  attendees.  With a price of $125/head, break even at 250.
>
>- No hotel deals.  There are plenty of hotels in downtown DC,
though
>  most are pricey.  The conference is near a metro stop so you can
>  always find cheaper lodging elsewhere and metro in.  Or stay
with a
>  friend.
>
>My main question at this point is, are these dates OK?  This is as
>late in the low season as we can go; the weather is expected to be
>fine by then (no risk of being snowed in).  If yall would check
your
>calendars to see if there are any conflicting events, that would
be
>great!
>
>--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/)

Most current information can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Etc/notes.html
Bruce Eckel    http://www.BruceEckel.com
Contains free electronic books: "Thinking in Java 2e" & "Thinking
in C++ 2e"
Please subscribe to my free newsletter -- just send any email to:
join-eckel-oo-programming@earth.lyris.net
My schedule can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Calendar