[Conferences-discuss] oscon 2003 call for participation

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 19:52:48 -0500

> I was quite surprised to receive this email from O'Reilly yesterday. The
> conference deadline for submissions (February 15th) is indeed listed on the
> Python conferences web page, but I seriously doubt many Python people are
> aware of the deadline.
>
> http://www.python.org/workshops/
>
> If anything, they are still focused on PyCon in March or one of the other
> upcoming Python conferences coming up before Python 11 in July. There hasn't
> even been a Python 11 announcement on c.l.py or c.l.py.announce AFAIK.
>
> Given that Python has such strong capabilities within the theme of the
> conference "Embracing and Extending Proprietary Software" it would be nice
> to have a lot of topics around the DB-API, win32com, PyObjC and other Mac OS
> X efforts, to name just a few. This is a great opportunity for Python to
> shine.
>
> So, is the deadline for submissions in the Python track really February
> 15th? I would like to put together a variety of proposals, but that is going
> to be pretty tough to do in less than three weeks. Whatever the real
> deadlines are, they need to be posted on c.l.py...
>
> On a related note, there is a Python User Group in Portland, Oregon. At our
> last meeting I brought up the idea of people volunteering to help with the
> conference in exchange for free or reduced admission, since the cost of
> attending OSCON will likely be high. Is that a possibility? If so, I would
> like to discuss the matter further either here on the list or privately.

Thanks, Kevin.  I'm aware of the deadline, but I'm entirely swamped.
I am hoping that we can put off the deadline a bit, but not too much
(O'Reilly needs to be able to schedule tracks).

Can you help by giving this a wide circulation?  c.l.py.a and c.l.py
at the least; probably also some of the larger mailing lists like the
jython list.  And don't forget the Zope lists.