[Conferences] PyCon newsfeed

David Goodger goodger at python.org
Mon May 25 20:19:10 CEST 2009

[was "Re: [Conferences] Live-translation for talks"]

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 12:33, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please don't look at the mail title, that was for another mail, I messed up

So let's change it.

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 12:30, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a proposal for the pycon.org front page. I am not sure how the
> news are generated there,

Do you mean http://www.pycon.org/ ? The "news" there is edited
manually (and infrequently) in a static HTML file. This is not ideal.

The US PyCon main page (bottom of http://us.pycon.org/2009/about/)
pulls a newsfeed from the PyCon blog (http://pycon.blogspot.com/).

The news on http://www.python.org/ is from a manually-edited YAML file
(embedding reST).

> What about a specialized feed of all news from the various conferences
> (a planet-like).

Sure.

> The only requirement
> would be to ask the people to provide an english only feed to avoid
> language mixes.

That sounds reasonable (but my mother tongue is English, so you can
ignore my opinion). I wouldn't be too strict about it though.

> I am volunteering to reach the right people and to build the feed (and
> to include it if needed)

So you'll set up a planet-type aggregator? Instead (or in addition),
we could set up a new blog (using Blogger or whatever) and pull its
newsfeed for www.pycon.org. People can subscribe to that blog as well.

The us.pycon.org server also hosts the www.pycon.org page (IIRC). Some
work will probably need to be done there. It could host the planet as
well. Send me your SSH public key and I'll set up an account for you.

--
David Goodger <http://python.net/~goodger>