[Conferences] finding sponsors

David Goodger goodger at python.org
Sat May 30 22:20:58 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 13:48, Catherine Devlin
<catherine.devlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> We've cooked up the following text for a sponsorship prospectus for
> PyOhio; I'd be interested in getting comments on it from any of you.

Some comments below.

> The best programmers - the ones companies need to
> recruit and nurture - are the ones who, regardless of their day jobs,
> perk up at chances to learn new things, especially things as awesome
> as Python.  I know that, you know that... how do we get that message
> to potential sponsors?

Say it directly? The first sentence above ("The best programmers...")
is a good start. Why not include it? Maybe a new section, like "Who
Attends PyOhio?".

> Why sponsor PyOhio?
> -------------------

I agree with Giovanni that the benefits should be listed directly.

> PyOhio is run entirely by a group of volunteers, and is not yet an officially
> registered non-profit organization.  Your PyOhio sponsorship should qualify as
> a pre-tax business expense, however.

Hopefully the PSF will be able to do something here. But I don't know
if it will be soon enough for PyOhio 2009.

> Sponsorship Levels and Benefits
>
> Anaconda ($1,000)
> Rattlesnake ($500)
> Garter Snake ($100)

Cute, but maybe too cute? Does it send the right message to
businesses, compared to the standard Silver/Gold/Platinum?

--
David Goodger <http://python.net/~goodger>