[Conferences] Sponsors and delegate contact info

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Sep 23 11:49:43 CEST 2009

John Pinner wrote:
>>    A couple of the more experienced people tell me that this is a
>> standard practice during most corporate conferences. I wanted to know
>> if any of the other PyCon organisers faced such a situation and if
>> they did, what was their course of action.
>>

> We have not been asked for this at PyCon UK, nor at the EuroPythons with
> which I've been involved. I think that we would refuse.

There was a list of all conference participant names together
with their email addresses in the EuroPython toad bag this year
(and AFAIR also in the years before) - something I find very
helpful as attendee, since you can then contact people at
the conference based on this list.

So at least for those sponsors who attended the conference it
was in theory possible to put all those attendees on a contact
list.

I think this is standard practice for smaller conferences. Larger
conferences only hand out a list of sponsors with their email
addresses, so the situation is reversed ;-)

Now, I don't know what the privacy rules are in India, but at
least in Germany, you wouldn't be allowed to give out details
such as email addresses to third parties without explicit consent
of the attendees.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 23 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/