[Conferences] Long-term planning of Python events

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Apr 20 20:08:36 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 20 April 2010 18:01:56 Mike Müller wrote:

> I would like to have a kind of long-term internal planning
> calendar for Python event organizers. Something like a wiki
> page with login for list members for instance.
> Planning horizon should be one year and more.

Choosing dates, or perhaps I should say choosing *between* dates, has appeared
to be quite a haphazard affair, at least for EuroPython conferences as long
as I remember. I imagine that venue availability is the primary constraint
around which everything else has to work - John will be able to confirm this,
I'm sure - but I recall only fairly lukewarm discussions about avoiding other
open source conferences when choosing which dates to go for, although I think
everyone has tried to avoid obvious Python-related events.

Sometimes, given a set of dates, a scheduling collision is unavoidable: take a
look at the LWN calendar (http://lwn.net/Calendar/) for an idea of the scale
of the problem. The best option may then involve just deciding to collide
with the more insular events like GUADEC, which I think happened in 2008, and
assume that most of the people who go to those things probably wouldn't want
to come to something like EuroPython, anyway.

I'd like to see more cooperation, potentially with some of the other more
general conferences, since it always seems like everyone just decides on
their own and then announces, but I doubt that it's always like that. Bulking
up the Python Events page on the Python Wiki, or perhaps having a Planned
Python Events page, would be rather useful. And to loosen that venue
constraint, the further ahead the planning goes, the better.

Paul