[Conferences] Fwd: Long-term planning of Python events

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Wed Apr 21 22:12:19 CEST 2010

bold +1 /bold

On Apr 20, 2010 5:23 PM, "Paul Boddie" <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

On Tuesday 20 April 2010 22:36:18 Catherine Devlin wrote:
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEvents...
It is linked to from the main site, though. Your mission is to tell us how
get there from the main page. ;-) Such matters of site structure are perhaps
of more interest to the revitalised pydotorg-www list, however.

I keep showing the following calendar off because it looks nicer and is
meant
to work in a Wiki context (rather than being some all-Google external
thing):

http://wiki.fsfe.org/FellowshipEvents

It would be completely possible to have tentative events in the same view as
real events, perhaps only visible to conference planning people. The
prettier
such stuff is, the more likely they'll use it and not replicate it in a
Google-only environment. :-)

> ... but, of course, event organizers may not think to get an event listed
> there until long afte...
Even if you're planning at short notice, there's still the advantage of
having
other conferences listed for a long period of time as some kind of "warning"
about appropriate dates. Meanwhile, those other conferences can't do much
about someone planning something which clashes with their dates at the last
minute, but by then they'll have announced their event several times and
will
hopefully have attracted a good number of participants.

Paul

P.S. In KMail, I chose "Reply to Mailing-List" to reply to this message. ;-)

htt...