[Conferences] Statistics of all Python conferences

॥ स्वक्ष ॥ vid at svaksha.com
Sun Oct 31 11:45:04 CET 2010

Hello,

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 17:58, Mike Müller <mmueller at python-academy.de> wrote:
> [MISC]
> # Add more information here if you think it is important.
> # Make up your own names (keywords).
> # Write free text as comments if this is easier.
> number-of-open-space-sessions=unknown
> number-of-lightning-talks=unknown
> # This was the biggest PyCon ever.
> # The percentage of women was about 10% this unusually high
> # for this kind of conference.

Honestly, this statistic makes me uncomfortable, for a number of
reasons. I'm involved with a number of women-in-floss projects and the
pressure to stand up and be visible or be counted is immense <-- this
makes it hard on those that dont seek attention because of their
gender. While I am aware that diversity matters and its important to
get that data out there, but, with all due respect, there is the risk
of being reduced to a mere statistic, when your presence is mere
tokenism for being politically correct** and nothing beyond that.

** Recently for inpycon registrations, it was impossible to register
and pay with doattend without doling out a bunch of irrelevant details
(gender, location, etc). IME, pycon does not insist on knowing your
gender and upon raising the issue on the inpycon list, I was told its
something the PSF does. I am not aware if its a PSF mandate but I
would like to know if it is.

--
Regards,
vid ॥ http://svaksha.com