[Conferences] Deadline extension, May 18 | UBICOMM 2012 || September 23 - 28, 2012 - Barcelona, Spain

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sat Apr 28 16:18:34 CEST 2012

On Saturday 28 April 2012 10:01:26 vid wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 07:20, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
> > I don't want to discard posts from non-members -- most of the non-members
> > posts we get are from people who are advertising a Python conference, or
> > at least a 'Dynamic Languages' conference where Python is one of the
> > represented languages.  Our problem is with one user who seems to think
> > that this is a mailing list for all sorts of conferences, and who keeps
> > sending us non-Python related things.
>
> Mailman allows you to put individual subscribers on moderation, but if
> they still continue to spam (like in this case), "unsub" them. If they
> sub with a new Id (ask mailman to send you a notice each time new subs
> are added to the list), you can observe that Id for a few days and if
> they spam, set that email id on moderation. The worst case would be as
> David suggested.

My suggestion was that we block the *particular* sender related to this
discussion, but discarding their messages instead of bouncing them. I don't
do that much list moderation, but I think it might be possible to do that
with Mailman.

Messages from non-members are, of course, welcome as long as they are
promoting Python-related conferences and not some event with a really long
and vague list of things that give the impression that they are just casting
the net as wide as possible without any thought being given to what the
recipients of the message actually get from it landing in their inbox.

Paul