[Conferences] Trademark policy for "PyCon" conferences

M.-A. Lemburg mal at python.org
Tue Jun 3 11:30:20 CEST 2014

On 02.06.2014 23:41, Nelle Varoquaux wrote:
> On 2 June 2014 23:14, Katie Cunningham <katie.fulton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Wait, I thought that any "official" Python conference had to have a
>> Code of Conduct in place? Perhaps it was tied to getting PSF funds?
>>

> Indeed, to have PSF funds you had to have a CoC.
>

>> As for it not being "popular" in the EU, both DjangoCon EU and PyCon
>> EU have had CoCs in place for at least the past two years.
>>

> I am not in the organizing committee of those conference, so I don't know
> how the discussions happened. For EuroPython, I wouldn't be surprised it
> has been imposed by the Europython society, and not decided by the local
> organizers. I know that for PyconFR, the first year, I just wrote the Coc
> without discussing this topic with other people (so again, no discussion
> needed), but for the french python association, it was a heated and very
> unpleasant debate. For EuroScipy, the organizers didn't feel the need for
> it, and thought it was redundant with british law (but it is a conference
> which is much more professional than many python conferences, in the sens
> that people that attend are scientists, thus go to many conferences for
> professional reasons).
>
> Now, for conferences such as PyconFR, that have existed for years, it is
> much harder to tell the organizers "you can keep your name, but you have to
> follow the new rules of the PSF, and that includes a code of conduct". Some
> of these people have been organizing python meetups since before the PSF
> existed.
> That's my two cents.

This is why we have grandfathered them in via the resolution.

We would still like to encourage the existing PyCon conferences to adopt
CoCs and this shouldn't be difficult to do. See for example the one
used by PyCon UK:

http://pyconuk.net/CodeOfConduct

> Overall, I think it is good that people think about these problems, and
> agree on how to react to such incidents, I just don't think it is good to
> impose that on people.

For existing PyCon conferences, I agree. For new ones, I think it's
fair to ask for the additional requirement.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Director