[Conferences] PyCon CZ -- serving alcohol at sponsor booth

Filip Kłębczyk fklebczyk at wecamo.eu
Tue Sep 1 12:08:16 CEST 2015

Hi Tomáš,

I'm not from PSF, but can give you some useful information from my
experience. Last year on PyCon PL one of the sponsors started to serve
beer from keg on its stand - it was for a short time (I think for 1
hour or less). They haven't mentioned about that to the organizers
earlier (probably should). Final result was other sponsor was annoyed,
because kind of large crowd appeared very fast blocking the passage
around other sponsor's stand. If we knew earlier we could place that
sponsor serving beer in a more suitable place.
For example on last Europython Google was serving beer and there was a
nice round area with kind of chillout zone to sit around. So I guess
serving alcohol by sponsors on conferences is nothing extraordinary.
Make also sure that the venue you are organizing events allows brining
alcohol from "external source". Sometimes you need to pay additional
fee for such right if you/sponsor don't order it from the venue. If
your venue is a university then they can prohibit any alcohol on the
conference - you should start from asking them in the first place.

Regards,
Filip