[core-workflow] Tracker workflow proposal

Ezio Melotti ezio.melotti at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 18:44:49 CEST 2014

On Apr 22, 2014 6:27 PM, "Zachary Ware" <zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 8:27 AM, Ezio Melotti <ezio.melotti at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > As I mentioned above, we aren't slow because we don't want to promote
> > people, but just because the promotion only happens when a core dev
> > happens to notice that someone deserving that role still doesn't have
> > it (and knows how to upgrade the role).  Maybe showing the role more
> > clearly (with an icon like the committer one) would make it easier to
> > notice when someone is not a Triager yet.
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that we don't want to promote people (or
> that we do it slower than we should).

No need to apology, I was just pointing out why we don't promote people
more actively.

> The only real data I have
> behind my view is my own experience, where I went straight from a
> plain User on the tracker to a full-blown committer with nothing
> in-between and basically assumed it's pretty much the same for most.

Usually this should happen before, but it's easy to miss it. It's also
likely that at some point people assumed you must have been a triager
already since you were very active and didn't bother double-checking.  I
was added to Misc/ACKS after becoming a committer because everyone thought
I was there already :)

> I think I may have benefited from having the Developer role earlier
> on, but I didn't want to ask for it (for fear of seeming greedy or
> something) and didn't really know who should be asked, anyway.

IRC is good for this.

> I think an icon showing what role people have would be a good thing; I
> for one don't know how to tell who has what role (and don't know how
> to upgrade someone's role, either).

It can be seen from the user page, but it might require some privileges to
change it.

Best Regards,
Ezio Melotti