[core-workflow] Use buildbot to test tracker patches

Ezio Melotti ezio.melotti at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 22:22:26 CEST 2014

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 10:34 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 9:30 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Anything to make life easier for everybody.
>>
>> I'd offer to help myself, but having seen the name of a well known PITA on
>> this thread I simply won't bother, it's just more trouble than it's worth.

You shouldn't let the presence of someone you define a PITA (which BTW
is impolite and possibly against the CoC of this ML) affect your
ability to help me or the Python community in general :)

> If you expect me to say "please, please, please, oh help Ezio", then of
> course, I won't say it. But if you send a pull request, I won't be the one who
> will decline it, because of emotional reasons. The problem is:
>
> 1. There is no place to send PR against
> 2. There is no workflow
> 3. There is no roadmap
>
> So if you can help Ezio close any of those problems while he is working on
> Roundup and server configs, in other words help him to make it easier for
> other people people to help him, that will be a good deal already and a good
> ontopic activity. I promise not to deliver any emotional distress in the
> process.

FWIW this is the help I need:
  * from the current buildbot maintainers I would like:
    * access to the current buildbot configuration so I can see it,
modify it, test it, and prepare a patch;
    * possibly access to the buildbot master so I can deploy it (I'm
happy if they do it on my behalf though);
  * from people familiar with buildbot I would like feedback if they
see any problem with my proposal and/or know any better/easier way to
achieve the same goal;
  * from other developers I would like some general feedback in order
to know if this feature will make their life any easier or if they
think it's a waste of time that they will never need/use.

I don't think I'll need help with the actual code/implementation, and
if I do I can probably find it elsewhere (Google, IRC).

>> I'm fully aware that I'm no angel, but I can at least plead mitigating
>> circumstances.
>
> Nobody is an angel, but "He who fights monsters should see to it that he
> himself does not become a monster."

This sounds like a good reason to avoid fighting monster in the first
place and just leave them alone :)