[core-workflow] [Sub_Issue: State Naming re: Decisions] Tracker workflow proposal

Carol Willing willingc at willingconsulting.com
Fri May 9 02:49:11 CEST 2014

Nick and Ezio,

Thanks! We're in sync. I appreciate your thoughtful responses regarding
the state label "decision needed".

I'm +1 on transparency and clarity around consensus building and do not
disagree with "final decision" authority rests with the module
maintainer or core dev which is far better than languishing issues.

I believe it would be helpful for some of Nick and Ezio's thoughts
making it into some documentation (dev guide?): "...an autocratic
decision from a core developer or module maintainer is a last resort to
get an issue moving again, rather than the preferred approach...decision
making authority is essentially limited getting to define how rough
"rough consensus" can be in any given situation, and even if a core dev
or module maintainer is needed to make the final call, we're often in
the situation of catching up on a discussion that may have been going on
for a while."

Any of these names (Green light needed, consensus/decision needed, or
decision needed) will work well when combined with greater community
education (via docs and other communication mechanisms).

Hopefully, this upfront dialogue will help the workflow tracker enable
more people to contribute most effectively and in turn will reward core
devs with more "meaningful" work not just more work.

Regards,
Carol

P.S. Antoine, Point taken. If anyone is aware of a dynamic mailing list
message "diff" organizer other than brute force, I would love to know.
Cheers!

--
Carol Willing
Developer