[core-workflow] GSoC idea: bug.python.org improvements

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 08:50:56 CET 2015

On 22 March 2015 at 14:11, Ezio Melotti <ezio.melotti at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 9:33 PM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 23:13:13 +1000, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I don't think we've discussed it anywhere yet (unless I mentioned it
>>> to Ezio on IRC), but there are some issues around dependency display
>>> that could conceivably be handled downstream. The main one is showing
>>> which bugs a given bug is *blocking* - that is, those which depend on
>>> the bug you're currently looking at.
>>>
>>> Another nice-to-have from my perspective would be the ability to add a
>>> new comment without having to scroll back to the top of the
>>> discussion.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I suspect those would also qualify as being projects
>>> best tackled under the Roundup banner, and I don't think it would be
>>
>> Nope.  Both of those are instance-only modifications, not core Roundup.
>> The 'dependencies' field doesn't even exist in the stock roundup
>> instance template.
>>
>> Comment box at the bottom has been previously suggested and was
>> rejected in favor of hotkeys that let you scroll back and forth easily.
>> I think that decision could be revisited, though.
>>

> FTR, you can press 'r' (for reply) to jump to the reply box at the
> top, 'esc' to unfocus it, and 'l' (lowercase L, for last) to jump to
> the last message.
> There are other shortcuts that you can see by pressing '?' or by
> clicking 'Keyb. shortcuts (?)' at the end of the sidebar.  Note that
> these shortcuts only work in the issues pages.

I almost never use hotkeys beyond Ctrl-C/Ctrl-X/Ctrl-V - if something
doesn't have a GUI element associated with it, it generally doesn't
exist as far as I'm concerned :)

I did just remember another small item though - hooking up searching
by Real Name in addition to Username when adding someone to the nosy
list (not everyone uses the first.last naming convention for their
username, especially if they have an already established username
they're bringing over from other services)

>   * since some of the Roundup devs said they would be available to
> help, one option would be to find a core Python mentor for this
> project (Nick?) and then the student can still interact with the
> Roundup guys (including me) and get help from other devs as well.

I'm already trying to figure out how to gracefully hand at least some
of my current projects over to other people, so I won't be
volunteering for anything new any time soon :)

Cheers,
Nick.