[core-workflow] bugs.python.org-related GSoC project

Ezio Melotti ezio.melotti at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 16:04:58 CET 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 4:37 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 March 2015 at 01:36, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>> On Mar 16, 2015, at 09:52 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>>
>>>I've found one neat trick for this kind of scenario is to devise
>>>standalone projects that are likely to be useful regardless of what
>>>happens in the broader context. REST-API-in-upstream-Roundup
>>>qualifies
>>
>> As Nick knows, we've had great success with REST in Mailman 3.  Having a REST
>> API for Roundup would be very cool, and given our experience it feels
>> GSoC-sized in effort, especially including the filling out of a robust API.
>
> I actually need to take an internal email I wrote regarding the
> definition of the overall REST API design for beaker-project.org and
> turn it into a public blog post. I believe the reason "REST backend,
> JavaScript client front end" works so well is that it lets you have a
> single "implementation model" (the REST web service) that exposes the
> raw data model in a form that's easy for *developers* to work with,
> while supporting multiple "representation models" that different
> groups of users interact with (your JavaScript UX, command line tools,
> UI elements in other web services):
> http://uxoslo.com/2014/01/14/ux-hints-why-mental-models-matter/
>
> In the case of Roundup, the data model is actually very REST friendly,
> as the existing XML-RPC interface already embodies the "collections of
> resources" approach. In theory, it should "just" be a matter of
> exposing those collections through an appropriate set of APIs (and
> figuring out things like access management, etc).

Just a quick update:
1) I updated the wiki page [0] and added some of the things we
discussed here to the project;
2) I couldn't find any Roundup dev willing to mentor the REST API
project, however I might have found someone else, so I added the
project to the wiki as well [0].  The idea is to work on
bugs.python.org first, and once the API is stable we can think about
porting it upstream.

I would encourage the students to start submitting their proposals for
the projects ASAP, since the deadline is approaching (the 27th of
March).

Best Regards,
Ezio Melotti

[0]: https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2015/python-core