[core-workflow] GSoC-powered bugs.python.org improvements

Ezio Melotti ezio.melotti at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 13:21:06 CEST 2015

Hi,
As you might be aware, during the summer we had two GSoC students
(mentored by Hieu Nguyen and me) working on bugs.python.org (b.p.o).

Shiyao (mentored by me) worked on:
  * a Mercurial plugin for b.p.o -- this allows to see,
download/apply, and generate/upload patches from/to b.p.o.  Source @
https://bitbucket.org/introom/hg-cpydev -- based on previous work by
Nick Coghlan and Mercurial core-dev Pierre-Yves David;
  * patch analysis for b.p.o -- this allows b.p.o to analyze and
extract metadata from patches that can be used to e.g. find all the
patches that affect a specific file, or determine if a patch contains
tests or docs changes.  Source @
https://bitbucket.org/introom/python-dev/src -- based on previous work
by anatoly techtonik and me;
  * a Docker image for b.p.o -- this should make things easier for
folks who want to hack on the tracker itself.  Source @
https://bitbucket.org/introom/docker-b.p.o;

Chau (mentored by Hieu) worked on adding a REST interface to Roundup.
This lays the foundations for easily developing future tools and
enhancements for b.p.o, including better stats, dashboards,
Kallithea/Phabricator integration, console-based roundup client, etc.
Source @ https://bitbucket.org/kinggreedy1991/roundup-bpo .

A more detailed report about Shiyao work can be found at
https://bpaste.net/show/6da721ff90db .
A more detailed report about Chau work can be found at
https://bpaste.net/show/7e2303d2aa7a .

The Docker image and the Mercurial plugin can already be used (even
though they should probably be reviewed in detail, added to
hg.python.org, and documented in the devguide).  The patch analysis
and REST interface still need to be reviewed in detail and integrated.
  After testing the REST interface on b.p.o, the plan is to backport
it to upstream Roundup.

Since both me and Hieu are currently fairly busy with work, any help
is more than welcomed.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Shiyao and Chau
for all the work they did, Hieu for volunteering as mentor, and Nick
and R. David for sharing their ideas and suggestions about the
projects.

Best Regards,
Ezio Melotti