[core-workflow] Help needed: adding GitHub usernames to bugs.python.org

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Feb 6 14:22:08 EST 2016

On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 at 10:25 Ezio Melotti <ezio.melotti at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 4:01 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> >
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0512/#adding-github-username-support-to-bugs-python-org
> >
> > In order for the CLA bot to work, I need people to be able to add their
> > GitHub usernames to their bugs.python.org profile. I also need some
> API(s)
> > that I can hit from the bot that lets me pass in a GitHub username -- or
> > names, since there can be more than one, but I'm also fine making
> multiple
> > individual requests instead of multiple names in a single request -- and
> get
> > back some kind of signed/not signed/no GitHub username response (can
> even be
> > GitHub username -> b.p.o username in one call and then b.p.o CLA status
> as
> > another if that's easier).
> >
> > I'm not sure if Ezio was planning to own this or not, so I'm asking if
> > anyone wants to take this on or help Ezio with the work if he does want
> > lead it (or R. David if he wants to lead it).
>
> Adding this should be relatively easy -- the new field must be added
> to the schema and a few extra lines in the templates should be added
> as well to allow users to add/edit/see it.  Testing it is a bit more
> difficult though.
> For the API, we can add a temporary page to retrieve the git user name
> as json or wait until I finish reviewing and merging the REST API
> patch (any help on this is more than welcome).
> I'm trying to set up a docker container with a test instance of the
> tracker and create a few test issues/users, so that I can test things
> more conveniently.  It might also be useful to make a psf account on
> dockerhub (or somewhere else) where to keep this and possibly other
> containers.

IOW if people want to help in a way that involves coding, then please help
Ezio with b.p.o stuff. This is also beneficial long-term for maintaining
the issue tracker and changes that will be needed in the future for getting
cpython moved over.

As for a PSF account on dockerhub, I would ask the PSF infra team what they
think and have them administer it.