[core-workflow] Presentation on Rust's GitHub based automation tools

Maciej Szulik soltysh at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 05:23:10 EST 2016

On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Berker Peksağ <berker.peksag at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was at linux.conf.au 2016 last week, and one of the presentations
>> was from Mozilla's Emily Dunham on some of the infrastructure
>> automation they use with Rust and other GitHub based projects:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIageYT0Vgg
>
> I just watched it, great talk. Thanks for sharing!
>
>> In addition to their merge bot project homu (which we've talked about
>> previously), they also have:
>>
>> highfive (a greeter bot): https://github.com/nrc/highfive
>
> This is a good idea.
>
>> starters (an issue curator): https://starters.servo.org/
>>
>> While these wouldn't necessarily be something we wanted to set up
>> immediately, it likely makes a lot of sense to try to share the tool
>> maintenance load with Mozilla rather than going for a completely
>> custom setup.
>
> The biggest problem of these tools is that they don't provide an API
> or a framework to use as a base. They have a lot of project specific
> code and they don't work on Python 3. So you'll need to write your own
> code anyway. We are going to write a lot of bots in the next months so
> I think we will eventually create some sort of framework to share some
> code.

Talking from the position of owning a similar bot in OpenShift, I quite
certain that it's really hard to have common base. Since these bots
address specific project and there are not two exactly the same projects
with  exactly the same workflow. I think what Nick meant to show is,
what we should target, more or less at least.