[core-workflow] Presentation on Rust's GitHub based automation tools

Maciej Szulik soltysh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 16:11:22 EST 2016

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 5:07 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 February 2016 at 20:23, Maciej Szulik <soltysh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Talking from the position of owning a similar bot in OpenShift, I quite
>> certain that it's really hard to have common base. Since these bots
>> address specific project and there are not two exactly the same projects
>> with  exactly the same workflow. I think what Nick meant to show is,
>> what we should target, more or less at least.
>
> It was a combination of a suggestion and a question. The suggestion
> was "Rust's automation UX seems nice, I think it would be desirable to
> target similar capabilities for CPython", the question was "Would it
> be feasible to collaborate on actual automation development?".
>
> It sounds like the pragmatic answer to the latter is "No, the
> additional coordination overhead isn't worth the potential pay-off",
> and I think that's fine - our respective communities can still learn
> from each other when it comes to our definitions of "What does 'good'
> look like?" in workflow design.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.
>
> --

I've also reminded one really handy solution described in the presentation,
which is auto-assigning PR to the owner of certain area. With the list we keep
here: https://docs.python.org/devguide/experts.html we could pretty easily
do such mechanism. This will be handy for the devs because assigning
a specific issue will trigger an email notification of such, which in turn is
similar to our noisy in bug tracker. Otherwise the PRs might end up hanging
there until somebody will do that manually.

Having said that Brett if you need help with it - I'm here to help you.

Cheers,
Maciej