[core-workflow] Help needed: best way to convert hg repos to git?

Pierre-Yves David pierre-yves.david at ens-lyon.org
Sun Feb 14 12:24:05 EST 2016

On 02/13/2016 02:56 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 13 February 2016 at 11:15, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>> I don't remember the story behind cpython-fullhistory, but it's obviously
>> incomplete since just stopped post conversion. You will need to find someone
>> who knows (I'd ask on python-dev).
>>
>> Also realize that this will be  our fourth VCS (cvs, svn, hg, now git). This
>> is not going to be a perfect history of the semantic actions of commits from
>> the beginning of time just due to the fact that these VCS tools all use
>> different concepts.
>
> There's also the fact that prior to the move to SourceForge in 2000,
> all changes had to be funneled through the half dozen or so people
> with write access to the CVS tree:
> https://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/2.0.html#new-development-process
>
> I think it's definitely OK if future code archaeologists need to dig
> into the SVN repository to get a more complete view of CPython's
> history.

I've never met a project who did not regret such decision at some point.
Keeping older history is usually valuable. Mercurial have powerful
enough tool to let you get all the history back together, I assume git
probably have that power too.

This is your call, but I strongly recommend taking advantage of this
migration to put everything back together.

--
Pierre-Yves David