[core-workflow] We will be moving to GitHub

Berker Peksağ berker.peksag at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 18:08:49 EST 2016

On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 12:35 AM, Ezio Melotti <ezio.melotti at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 2, 2016 at 8:45 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>> Basically a way to map an issue to a PR (or vice-versa). Probably the
>> simplest solution is to allow pasting in a GitHub PR URL or the PR # to make
>> the association. The other option is for the bot to accept a command to make
>> the association. No reason we can't have both, though. But either way we
>> should have a way to connect PRs to issues.
>>

> I'll have to think a bit about the best way to implement this and the
> UI (I already have some ideas).

This can be done without a bot. We just need a webhook server to
listen pull_request[1] events. If the action type of the event is
"opened" and the pull request title contains "Issue #NNNN", we can
communicate with the new Roundup detector. I don't know how the
Roundup part works, though.

[1] https://developer.github.com/v3/activity/events/types/#pullrequestevent

> There's also another point that I haven't seen being discussed: how we
> will handle the author and the committer fields.
> Currently we only know the committer so, while migrating to git, this
> can either be duplicated in the author field or just preserved in the
> committer field leaving the author field empty.  Afterwards we can
> start using the two fields for what they are meant for.
> A possible problem is how to update them when commits/merges are
> performed by bots (e.g. if b.p.o automatically converts a patch into a
> pull request, or if a core dev merges a patch by clicking on a
> button).  Perhaps someone more familiar with Git/GitHub can clarify
> this (I think it's possible to specify author/committer manually, but
> I don't know how GitHub handles it on its side).

There is no way to store both contributor and committer information
via GitHub's web interface. It can be done either manually in terminal
or a bot can temporarily set GIT_COMMITTER_NAME and
GIT_COMMITTER_EMAIL env variables before doing fast-forward merge (we
can get the core developer's name and email address from
https://developer.github.com/v3/issues/comments/ and
https://developer.github.com/v3/users/)