[core-workflow] My initial thoughts on the steps/blockers of the transition

Ezio Melotti ezio.melotti at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 02:56:20 EST 2016

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 8:18 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 at 23:46 Ezio Melotti <ezio.melotti at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you agree, this is what needs to be done:
>> 1) automatically add PRs to b.p.o issues;
>

> This is a blocker.
>

>> 2) automatically add a message on b.p.o when a review is posted on github;
>

> With the way GitHub does reviews, this won't make sense. Each comment on a
> PR is essentially its own review (as Eric complained about because that
> means each comment is treated as a separate thing and thus generates its own
> email). It isn't like with Rietveld where there is a "Review + Email" step
> to send draft reviews and hence a review is a group of comments.

Good to know.
I can think of two alternative solutions:
1) have a "number of comments" and "date/time of the last comment"
next to the PR, and update it whenever a new comment is posted;
2) check periodically for new comments, aggregate them somehow, and
post a "X new comments have been added to PR Y." message;

>> 3) add a "github username" field to b.p.o users to link accounts;
>

> That's a blocker for CLA enforcement.
>

>> 4) automatically add the PR author (during step 1) and reviewers
>> (during step 2) to the issue nosy list on b.p.o;
>

> I view this as a great nicety but not a blocker.

OK, I considered this a blocker because otherwise PR authors and
reviewers might miss b.p.o comments, but we can let them know manually
until it's implemented.

Best Regards,
Ezio Melotti