[core-workflow] My initial thoughts on the steps/blockers of the transition

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Jan 7 16:53:21 EST 2016

On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 at 13:06 francismb <francismb at email.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 01/05/2016 07:13 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
> > Day 1 summary
> > ============
> >
> > Decisions made
> > -----------------------
> >
> > - Seems like our current commit ID -> URL service can be updated to
> handle
> > our transition
> >

> > Open issues
> > -------------------
> > - What tools and commands will we use to convert the repos?
> > - How do we want to handle Misc/NEWS?
> > - What are the exact commands we are going to expect core devs to run
> > (which will be documented in the devguide)?
> > - Who to use for CI (although Donald is the only one to speak up and
> likes
> > Travis as do I, so this might be decided)?
> > - Who to use for code coverage (Donald has suggested codecov)?
> > - Do we want to add GitHub login support for b.p.o to ease in adding
> > people's GitHub username and to minimize the need for two accounts to
> > propose a patch that has a corresponding issue?
> >

> a small question: could it be possible to access (some of) the services
> in a REST-ish form through a wrapper on https://www.python.org/dev
>
> I mean something like:
>
> Python-
> community-
> Service     External-Service        Python-Website-Address-Wrapper
> cpython     GitHub       https://www.python.org/dev/cpython

We will probably have git.python.org handle this.

> issues      ...          https://www.python.org/dev/cpython-issues

bugs.python.org already exists.

> website     GitHub       https://www.python.org/dev/website
> buildbots   ...          https://www.python.org/dev/cpython-buildbots

buildbot.python.org already exists.

> devinabox   GitHub       https://www.python.org/dev/cpython-devinabox

It's just a repo and not special enough to deserve a unique URL.

> coverage    codecov      https://www.python.org/dev/cpython-coverage

This might be worth a URL if we get it set up.

> docs        GitHub       https://www.python.org/dev/cpython-docs

That's docs.python.org.

> Couldn't be then some bots external-provider independent/decoupled?

The plan is that anything we write for this will be sufficiently decoupled
from GitHub that changing hosts will just require updating abstraction code
to work with different REST APIs and not a major rewrite of the bot itself.

-Brett