[core-workflow] What would it take to split the stdlib out into its own git repo?

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sat Jul 16 20:55:01 EDT 2016

> On Jul 16, 2016, at 8:46 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>
> What would be involved in making the stdlib its own repo, separate from CPython itself? Now I'm not suggesting making sure it fully functions on its own, but more of what would need to happen if we decided that the stdlib should be  its own git repo so that any Python implementation -- including CPython -- would include the stdlib as e.g. a git submodule? For instance, would we be able to split the history, or would the original history stay in the CPython repo and we would start from scratch in the stdlib repo and `git log` would hopefully be smart enough to merge the two histories? How bad is it to work in a repo with a submodule where you will be making changes to submodules regularly?

It’s kind of miserable in my experience TBH.

> And are there benefits? My hope/hunch is that if we make the stdlib its own repo then other implementations could include the stdlib as a submodule or something, making it easier for them to not only keep up-to-date with fixes to the stdlib, but also make it easier for them to push changes upstream that everyone would benefit from instead of having any changes silo-ed off in their own repo.

The C-extensions part might be hard for this, since that’s an implementation detail of CPython. This is probably best asked of PyPy, Python, etc though.

One thing though, you don’t need to split out into a separate repo to allow people to do this, they can do git sub-tree merges from CPython into their own git repos (https://jrsmith3.github.io/merging-a-subdirectory-from-another-repo-via-git-subtree.html <https://jrsmith3.github.io/merging-a-subdirectory-from-another-repo-via-git-subtree.html>).

> Am I nuts, or is this something reasonable to consider doing as part of the GitHub migration?

I’m not sure I see a whole lot of value here unless we make it possible to release the stdlib separately tbh.

—
Donald Stufft