[core-workflow] GitHub migration update

Brett Cannon brett at snarky.ca
Thu Oct 6 15:41:12 EDT 2016

As always, the master TODO list is kept at
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0512/#cpython-repo . To summarize:

   - The bugs.python.org changes have patches but they need to land
   (hopefully Maciej Szulik or R. David Murray can help with that)
   - Ned Deily and R. David said they could help with the IRC and emails to
   python-checkins at the core dev sprint last month (unless I'm remembering
   wrong :)
   - Ned said PEP 101 will get updated by him
   - sys._git is coded but awaiting a code review by Ned (and probably
   deciding if it should be in Python 3.6 or just straight into 3.7)
   - Updating hg.python.org/lookup is still needed/desired
   - Need to check if the current mirror is actually good enough to just
   keeping using to avoid breaking everyone's clone of the repository, or if
   we truly do need to fully regenerate the repo
   - Need to finish updating the devguide

So a bunch of stuff is in-progress which is great! Probably the thing that
I need the most help with ATM is updating the devguide. There's a `github`
branch at https://github.com/python/devguide/tree/github where we're trying
to eliminate or move mentions of Mercurial over to Git (see
https://github.com/python/devguide/milestone/1 for the relevant issues). We
also need to figure out exactly what git commands we want for doing squash
commits from the command-line (we will have the Squash and Merge button on
GitHub, but some people prefer a CLI and the commands that GitHub provides
are not squash ones), and we also need instructions on how to cherrypick a
change that went into master but needs to be backported to an older
version(s) of Python (I will start separate threads for that discussion).

At the core sprints last month, Ned and I talked and we agreed that we
wouldn't switch until after 3.6.0 came out so as to not risk botching the
release because of the migration. That means the switchover won't happen
any sooner than mid/late December, but luckily most of this stuff can still
be done (and tested) prior to officially switching so this doesn't need to
hold anything up.