[core-workflow] Can core developers bypass PR checks?

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Sat Feb 18 16:38:23 EST 2017

(I'm not subscribed to this list, so please keep me on CC)

Was there any discussion about allowing core developers to bypass any of
the PR checks? Or was there an assumption that we'd just push directly
to the main repo?

For example, most of my contributions are to do with the Windows
installer. Due to the nature of installers, virtually nobody else is
confident to review anything complex, or even simple ones (such as
https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/160) due to not being able to
predict the flow on effects. As a result, I make many small changes that
would take a long time to get reviewed.

Similarly, many of my changes are not touched by the automated builds.
Particularly anything to do with the installer is certainly not going to
be built on a Linux box, and most (probably all) Windows buildbots don't
build the installer right now. I've seen some systems where tags can be
applied to a PR to skip build validation - I would certainly find that
valuable.

But essentially, I believe it should be within the power of core
developers to bypass the checkin requirements (review + builds) and
force a merge. Currently this is not possible - could it be enabled?
Obviously it's placing trust in our core dev team, but that's the way it
has always been, and we don't lose any traceability from this (unlike
allowing people to delete branches from the repo, which can permanently
lose code).

Cheers,
Steve