[PYTHON C++-SIG] Re: LLNL Python/C++ integration: current status

David Ascher da at maigret.cog.brown.edu
Thu Feb 13 19:17:10 CET 1997

On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, Geoffrey Furnish wrote:

>  > Just a question: how do you deal with frozenmain.c?  Do you treat it
>  > as a C++ file?
>
> Uhhh.  Never heard of it.  This is an excellent example of why we need
> to do this in a public forum.  Thanks for calling it to my attention.
> Suggestions welcome.

As you may have figured out by now, it's the main that's used when
freezing objects.  I suspect it might make sense to adjust freeze to allow
a --with-cxx flag as well...

Pythanalyzer sounds good too.

>  > > #include "PythonX.hh"
>  >
>  > This maybe too late, but 'PythonX' makes me think of Python/ActiveX, which
>  > is a completely different system...
>
> This is under discussion here.  Suggestions welcome.  Python++.hh is
> another posibility, but I'm not sure how portable that is to systems
> with pathetic filesystems (biting tounge).

I think it's funny that you are ruthless on ANSI C++ compatibility but
not decent filename support from the FS. =)

> 2.7.2 is certainly nowhere near adequate.  I don't think 2.8.0 is out
> yet, but early indications I have received make me fear it will also
> be inadequate, despite being a dramatic improvement over 2.7.2.
>
> We are aware this is a short term liability.  Be we do believe it is a
> /short/ term liability, and in our group here at LLNL, we simply do
> not work with compilers that do not conform to a recent edition of the
> draft.  It will be a great day indeed, when g++ is ANSI C++
> compatible, and we look forward to that day, but we are not prepared
> to wait idly for that day.

I'd be interested (as Neal Becker asked) in what compiler you're using,
and maybe it'd be worthwhile maintaining a list of which compilers would
be acceptable.  For example, which of of the SGI C++ compilers fit the
bill, if any?

> We would be very interested in having this work accepted into the
> Python standard distribution, in the full course of time.  In order
> for that to be realistic, we realize the code needs to be reviewed by
> a significantly wider audience than just our little research group,
> which is why I lobbied for this SIG.  If it becomes clear through this
> forum that our work is of interest to others, we will cut releases of
> our patch set for public use.  We will consider suggestions made by
> others.  And if/when this system achieves a reasonable degree of
> stability and maturity, we would be happy to see it absorbed into the
> Python official distribution.

Guido will tell us if he's subscribed, but I got the definite impression
at the latest SPAM that he is interested in dealing with C++ in the core
as long as it's a complete and good solution.

C++-SIG - SIG for Development of a C++ Binding to Python

send messages to: c++-sig at python.org
administrivia to: c++-sig-request at python.org