[PYTHON C++-SIG] Re: LLNL Python/C++ integration: current status

Fred L. Drake fdrake at CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Thu Feb 13 22:37:51 CET 1997

  Even from the description of the work being done at LLNL, I'd guess
that a much of effort to "wrap" the standard Python types with C++
classes can be done without using the (pricey) leading edge C++
compilers.  My expectation would be that I could use the --with-cxx
and wrappers with C++, that I could skip the test for new Thing()
returning NULL if the runtime supports exceptions for failed new
operations (does anyone know if g++ handles this these days, or if
2.8.0 will?), and the RTTI would only be needed for code generated by
the "pythalyzer" tool that's been described.
  I think this is not be unreasonable; to support g++ for wrapped C++
libraries, the "pythalyzer" would need to generate different, perhaps
more tedious, code, or impose a few restrictions on the classes that
could be wrapped, but that is a livable situation.  There's no reason
that the pythalyzer can't have multiple "back-ends" of its own, so
support could be provided for g++ wherever possible.
  (Yes, I expect that'd I'll only be using g++ for C++ code myself.)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.
fdrake at cnri.reston.va.us
1895 Preston White Drive
Reston, VA    20191-5434

C++-SIG - SIG for Development of a C++ Binding to Python

send messages to: c++-sig at python.org
administrivia to: c++-sig-request at python.org