[C++-SIG] Re: [PSA MEMBERS] Fw: the dynamic load mystery...

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at ibs.ibs.fr
Fri Apr 17 16:23:43 CEST 1998

>         Yes. But I think that 'the fact that linkage is not portable'
> means that ...
>
> >The scheme I used has the enormous
> >advantage of allowing client modules to use NumPy in a perfectly
> >portable way, i.e. a single Setup file works for all systems and
> >all ways of installing NumPy.  Well, almost :-(
>
>        ... it isn't portable. :-)
> But it still has to be done. Somehow :-(

Yeah, somehow...

> >That's the big problem - I don't see any way to do this in a portable
> >way.
>
>         That's not a problem. You're probably right.
> So do it in a non-portable way :-) With lots of cases,
> and people emailing you what worked for them. :-((
> Ugly. But it isn't your fault.

No, but it's my problem. I am trying to convince my colleagues to use
Python (and my libraries), but among the people I know, more than 50%
have given up due to installation problems related to NumPy. That was
supposed to be fixed by the new version...

BTW, what was the problem that caused you to ask for a change in the
behaviour under HP/UX? I understand that it's nicer to get error
messages immediately for testing, but was there any other problem? If
the 1.4 behaviour is fine for production use, maybe it is more
reasonable to use the 1.5 behaviour only in debugging mode.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen at ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais